indigoxela's picture

This topic is a place where folks can post agenda items for the upcoming weekly dev meeting that will happen on August 12th.

Comments

indigoxela's picture

Hi,

this week I'd like to ask for help re a pull request stuck in Zen.CI failures.

The Issue (3008) is about broken module updates in environments with a symlink as doc root.

Our problem is, that we can not reproduce the test failures outside Zen.CI, but the same failures always happen inside. And they might be related to the code change.

As long as we can't reproduce it, we can't fix it - so we're stuck.

The bugfix would be important to make Backdrop usable in more hosting environments. Symlinks as document root aren't so uncommon.

I thought it might be the branch, but I tried creating a new branch from scratch and opening a new pull request, and it has the same problem, an Internal Server Error and then the test failures. This is PR 3682.

Olafski's picture

The bugfix would be important to make Backdrop usable in more hosting environments. Symlinks as document root aren't so uncommon.

I second that. Two common German webhosting providers (1&1 Ionos, and Strato) use symlinks as document root. Which means, you can't update modules, themes, or core via the Backdrop interface. In my case, about 3 out of 10 clients have a contract with one of these providers.

bugfolder's picture

This may not fall under the topic of "dev", but it warrants discussion. Backdropcms.org is infested with spam accounts (spot-checking suggests that the vast majority of the 7K+ user accounts are spam). We need to take more aggressive steps to prevent them.

See this Zulip discussion and this issue.