Because how the thing are called shapes the way we think about them and how we use them I purpose Content Type to be renamed Content Workflow. I know that there are historical reasons to not do so but I will try to represent some argument at least to start thinking about it this way.
I am using Backdrop CMS for a while and for some time I have come to the conclusion that Content Type is actually Content Workflow. It is a way to distribute content but not a structure of content. It is the way the content behave.
I will explain my particular useage of Content Type and will be happy to see if there are other people who might think like me.
I have an educational website where the content types are Post, Math, Science and History. I do not need different structure for every single content type. But in my particular example I need some difference in the behavior. I want:
- every Math content to be published under example.com/math and to be maintained by "math team"
- every Post content to be published under example.com/posts and to be maintained by "editors"
- every History content to be published under example.com/history and to be maintained by "history team"
- every Science content to be published under example.com/science and to be maintained by "science team"
I created separate Content Types to have customized behavior:
- different URL pattern
- different publishing options
- [THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE] different permissions - I can have different teams for every single content type
The actual "content" is managed by Paragraphs. Every Conent Type has only one field (which I called "content") of a Paragrapgh Type. Inside the Paragraph Type it is a dynamic choice between Text, Image or Video which can be added indefinitely and in any order.
Now when I am writing this I consider to include in this "content" (which is Paragraph Type) cover image, teaser and tags.
This way when in future I need to add some other "content type" with the same structure but with different behavior I will add Content Type with only one field - this of my Paragraph Type - which hold everything I need as a structure.
Also if I want to change the structure of my content type I will only need to change it in one place - in the Paragraph Type.
I hope there will be somebody who finds this approach interesting and helpful.