vstemen's picture

Has anybody else had problems with the "rules" on backdrop 1.13.0?

I am trying to upgrade a backdrop site I am developing and am stuck. It apparently requires me to upgrade from the entity_metadata_wrapper module to entity_plus which also requires me to upgrade the rules module to at least 2.1.0.

I finally completely uninstalled rules, entity_metadata_wrapper, and ubercart (which depends on rules) prior to upgrading core to 1.13.0. So now I am trying to re-install each one from scratch rather than upgrading.

The entity_plus module enables fine. However, every time I attempt to enable either rules 2.1.0 or 2.1.1, as soon as I click "SAVE CONFIGURATION" on the modules page, It lands on /admin/modules/list/confirm and I get a blank screen. At that point the whole site is completely dead. It just gives me a blank white screen even on the root URL.

Also, if I run drush at that point I get the error,

PHP Fatal error:  Cannot make static method EntityInterface::entityType()
    non static in class RulesConfigEntity in
    /data/htdocs/dev1.mysite.com/modules/rules/includes/rules.core.inc on line 21

Drush command terminated abnormally due to an unrecoverable error.    [error]
    Error: Cannot make static method EntityInterface::entityType() non static in class
    RulesConfigEntity in
    /data/htdocs/dev1.mysite.com/modules/rules/includes/rules.core.inc, line 21

I am wondering if I should file an issue report for the rules module or the entity plus module or if I could be overlooking something silly.

Comments

drop's picture

Hi @ and thanks for this question. 

Backdrop 1.13.0 contained a change that caused many contrib projects to throw a fatal error -- the one you mention above about a static method. 

The problem was severe enough that the change that went into 1.13.0 was reverted, and 1.13.1 was released as the revert was committed.

That bug-fix release came out on May 23rd. It appears as though you first created this forum post on May 29th.

If you ever encounter a problem with a 1.x.0 release, I'd encourage you to check for another release shortly thereafter. We usually try to get a bug-fix release out just after a major version release to catch anything that might have been missed in testing the preview version.