A site I maintain in Drupal 7 uses the theme "Mayo," which inherently has a feature allowing users to increase or decrease text size globally; it looks like this in my site:

screen capture of text-size control

Is there either a Backdrop theme including this, or else a contrib module that could easily add this kind of function?

Accepted answer

Browsers can do a better job and also provide more features like high contrast for accessibility. That's why we don't usually see websites anymore with a text resize button.

Comments

I am new to Backdrop but not to Drupal. Does this mean it may work as-is, or could work with some recoding?

coder_upgrade works well with text resize, i have done it without trouble.

Olafski's picture

Hm, I don't know any such a theme or module for Backdrop. However, with modern browsers and a responsive theme a text size feature shouldn't be necessary anymore. (I see that some clients ask for it; personally, I would recommend them to do without.)

Agreed it's not necessary. I personally resize text with keyboard command and have done so for many years. The motivation for the request is only that the site in question is for a population that tends to be both older and not highly experienced with browser usage, so it would just be an extra bit of help that's immediately visible.

Browsers can do a better job and also provide more features like high contrast for accessibility. That's why we don't usually see websites anymore with a text resize button.

The motivation for the request is only that the site in question is for a population that tends to be both older and not highly experienced with browser usage... 

Okay... I'm that older guy you're talking about. Yet, I am not inexperienced in using browsers. So please explain: How do I change the text size on a given website from within my browser? 

ericfoy,

The "Zoom" setting under top-bar item "View" allows resizing, and in that item you'll see the keyboard commands to enlarge or reduce. (Command - + on Mac, Control - + on Windows PC); easy to remember, so you never have to go to View again for it. The exact wording of this option varies a little by browser. Also, you may want to go to browser preferences/settings and make the default text size larger as a starting point. Another note: The zoom in/out or enlarge/reduce command may affect everything on the page, or may affect only text. That depends on how sizes of elements are defined in page coding.

OpsTao: Thanks for the response.

Yes, I have long known about "zoom" using ctrl- + & —. For me, that is a very far cry from the utility of managing typography via css. Not even close. The above statement that browsers do a better job at handling this is quite surprising to me.

That being said, your last sentence is actually news to me, as, in my experience, zooming only always affects everything on the page. Since now apparently there is a way for the developer to influence the zoom behavior, perhaps I could be persuaded to subscribe to this "new way".

Yet I remain skeptical, as I have always viewed browser zooming as a necessary evil for the case of viewing a functionally deficient website. ... then you open the next website, and it's way too zoomed in... or you are looking at a child window, zoom in, then close the child, and now the parent is way too zoomed in. ... It's all just a bunch of hassle, which could be so clean instead if the site offered a simple css type-size adjustment. 

I am interested in feedback on this.