We are using 32 digit hard-coded UUIDs hardcoded into layout config files in Backdrop core. I find this confusing. I assumed that these were randomly generated and tried to find ways of avoiding them when trying to use config_set, only to discover that they are not and could just as well be something like [region][block] = "header-header."

config_set('layout.layout.default','content.84c43df4-1165-4faf-8700-c362a7153c0b.data.settings.block-settings.menu', 'main-menu' );

I assume there is a reason for them, but right now I just find them very confusing and a bit disorientating. Any thoughts or explanations?

Accepted answer

It seems that these 32 UUIDs have initial values that are hard-coded into Backdrop default config, but that any blocks setup through the UI have randomly generated UUIDs. So, the menu block starts with a hard-coded UUID that is always the same, but if you delete the block and recreate it, it will have a unique UUID. 

This may be obvious to others, but it was confusing to me. It's starting to make more sense. 

Comments

It seems that these 32 UUIDs have initial values that are hard-coded into Backdrop default config, but that any blocks setup through the UI have randomly generated UUIDs. So, the menu block starts with a hard-coded UUID that is always the same, but if you delete the block and recreate it, it will have a unique UUID. 

This may be obvious to others, but it was confusing to me. It's starting to make more sense.