I am wondering if it is possible for me to control the placement of status messages on my site in the layout. For example can I place a status message block on my layout to control the location of these status messages?

Accepted answer

I solved this one myself. It took some digging around, but I realized there is a core block called "Page messages" which is described this way:

Displays messages to the user after an action is performed, such as form validation errors or success messages. Replaces the normal messages on the page with a block.

I didn't see it because I was looking for a "status messages" block. But, they are the same thing. 

This block should be available with Backdrop by default for you to add to any layout. 

I edited the post title to include "page messages." 

Comments

I solved this one myself. It took some digging around, but I realized there is a core block called "Page messages" which is described this way:

Displays messages to the user after an action is performed, such as form validation errors or success messages. Replaces the normal messages on the page with a block.

I didn't see it because I was looking for a "status messages" block. But, they are the same thing. 

This block should be available with Backdrop by default for you to add to any layout. 

I edited the post title to include "page messages."