I am the pastor of a church who is having a new site built in Backdrop.  We would like to build a Worship Planning function into the site.

It would have (among other features), the ability to store PDFs and mp3s for repeated use.

Has anyone built anything like this in Backdrop?

Thanks!

Most helpful answers

I'm going to take a stab at guessing what you mean by 'worship planning' function...

I'm guessing you're wanting something like a database of songs, then the ability to create an order-of-service for a particular day and pull in the songs for the service. I'm guessing PDFs are the chord charts/sheet music...?

To build that functionality, I'd create a content type for 'Song's. A Song would have a title, MP3 field, Chord Chart (or similar) field (for the PDFs), and whatever other fields you need (author, copyright, lyrics, etc.).

I'd then create an 'Order of Service' content type which would have a Date/Time (using the Automatic Nodetitles module this could automatically populate the title field), and a multi-valued References field that references the Song content type. You can have other fields too: who's preaching, announcements, etc.

Once the site is populated with Song content of your MP3s, etc., you can create an Order of Service and reference the 4-5 particular songs for that day. Then display that as a page on the site or output a PDF automatically using Print using mPDF.

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask any further questions, or correct the assumptions I've made :-)

Hello, welcome .We'd need more info about your request I think .What does a worship planning software look like?

Comments

p.s. I should add that we have a current site in D7 and I'm very familiar with Drupal (having built the old site)

Hello, welcome .We'd need more info about your request I think .What does a worship planning software look like?

Adding pdfs is easy enough with a file field. For mp3s do you want to just add them or also have them play?

I'm going to take a stab at guessing what you mean by 'worship planning' function...

I'm guessing you're wanting something like a database of songs, then the ability to create an order-of-service for a particular day and pull in the songs for the service. I'm guessing PDFs are the chord charts/sheet music...?

To build that functionality, I'd create a content type for 'Song's. A Song would have a title, MP3 field, Chord Chart (or similar) field (for the PDFs), and whatever other fields you need (author, copyright, lyrics, etc.).

I'd then create an 'Order of Service' content type which would have a Date/Time (using the Automatic Nodetitles module this could automatically populate the title field), and a multi-valued References field that references the Song content type. You can have other fields too: who's preaching, announcements, etc.

Once the site is populated with Song content of your MP3s, etc., you can create an Order of Service and reference the 4-5 particular songs for that day. Then display that as a page on the site or output a PDF automatically using Print using mPDF.

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask any further questions, or correct the assumptions I've made :-)