Is there any means by which to limit the total quantity of products ordered via the Ubercart module? -> yes, as is default resident (disabled in Workflow rules)

This is particularly important for overseas shipping, which (from Australia) involves different rates for different quantities (weights).

This functionality is easily achieved with Wordpress (max quantity plugin), or with Drupal 8 (Commerce Extended Quantity module). But it seems equivalent functionality is not available in Backdrop CMS, which given that, imo, Backdrop is the better system, with super-easy, intuitive admin, is my much-preferred CMS.

update - I'm not referring to max-quantity per "small package" that is a default field on new-product entry. I mean max-quantity per order, which rejects attempts to add-to-cart beyond the defined limit.

update 2 - whoops, forgot that backdrop is integrated with rules -- was thinking D8, which isn't.. seems rules can do the job, perhaps similar to this D7 solution https://www.drupal.org/node/2922011

update 3 - wow, max quantity is already a (disabled) rule in workflow. Brilliant. Excellent.

Most helpful answers

@laryn

Apologies -- I thought, as it's resident in the admin/config/workflow/rules (inactive rules) it would not need further detail.

That said, it might be a result of my having installed both shipping and shipping quotes modules, which I would assume set up the inactive rules in the process.

I enabled the max-quantity rule, and it works perfectly.

Also, other rules inactive (I'll be activating them shortly) are

• Increment stock on cancelling order

• Increment stock on deleting an order

• Decrement stock when order cancellation is being undone

All of which will be highly pertinent to order processing, and keeping track of stock.

Comments

wow, max quantity is already a (disabled) rule in workflow. Brilliant. Excellent.

Great -- and if you get a chance to post specific instructions here it might help the next person who comes along with the question!

@laryn

Apologies -- I thought, as it's resident in the admin/config/workflow/rules (inactive rules) it would not need further detail.

That said, it might be a result of my having installed both shipping and shipping quotes modules, which I would assume set up the inactive rules in the process.

I enabled the max-quantity rule, and it works perfectly.

Also, other rules inactive (I'll be activating them shortly) are

• Increment stock on cancelling order

• Increment stock on deleting an order

• Decrement stock when order cancellation is being undone

All of which will be highly pertinent to order processing, and keeping track of stock.

Thanks @steve2020 -- I just thought someone coming to Backdrop or Ubercart for the first time might appreciate a slight bit more specificity.

Yeah, I initially was put off Backdrop (BD), basically for a few relatively minor reasons, but still, put off -- e.g. getting used to the layout system, and mention of using Lando to install BD. Having no prior experience with Lando (and likewise Docker) that was a whole other level of complexity that I initially thought "nah, too hard, stick with D7, maybe Wordpress, maybe D8". I work on a local Ubuntu server install, and that's sufficient for my purposes -- in that I build a D7 locally, then upload modules, themes, files to a fresh D7 install on the production server (shared hosting), install backup_migrate module, pull in the local backup. Fiddle with the file system settings if necessary. Done. Easy peasy.

Having sensed the simplicity and merit of BD, I eventually pushed into Lando, only to have drush crash on running cron ...

Anyway, once I became familiar with BD (still learning, leaving Lando for another time) it has amazing flexibility (which perhaps is one of the issues newcomers might or will face in that too much flexibility can be confusing).

I think the functionality that will trump (no pun intended) Drupal 8 (which anyway has an EOL of less than a year) is that Rules is integrated into Backdrop, and in Ubercart. That, right there, seals it for me. D8 on the other hand, without rules integration in Commerce, means all sorts of difficulties that need work-arounds, additional modules, etc..

and that's all before we mention composer... and how if you don't use composer (to install stuff) that will almost certainly break the D8 site.

and all that before mentioning if you do a shared-hosting install (e.g. via Installatron, or Softaculous) of D8, core will be put in the public_html directory. Okay, great, same as a D7 install. But, the local composer install sticks core into public_html/web directory. Sheesh. So now you have problems you can't even begin to imagine might occur if you try to marry the two... (yeah, yeah, I know, build a local D8 site with composer, upload the .lock file, then do a composer install. Sure, but by comparison, D7 is a 'walk in the park').

So, backdrop cms it is.

---update. Rereading the above, it might seem I was too easily put off (initially). There were other problems that compounded my view of "too hard" - almost leading to a "throw out the baby with the bathwater" situation.

update 2 -> All or most of which could have been avoided had I not solely relied on old D7 knowledge. Pays to do some homework..

Thanks for posting your question and then answering it yourself. That's helpful for others. I'm glad that you figured this out. I have yet to try Ubercart for Backdrop CMS, but I'm hearing good things about it recently.

mazze's picture

Ubercart on Backdrop CMS continues to amaze me.