Having problems with my latest upgrade to Backdrop from a D7 site.  I've followed the guide for upgrading to the letter, but the process gets stuck at "Starting Updates" screen, which just stays at 0%. I've tried leaving for a couple of hours, but nothing happens. I see no change in the database (nothing obvious at least) or with any of the config files, so must assume the Update process simply does not start.

I've tried to clean up the D7 site as best I can removing unwanted modules, content and files as well disabling some modules, but having done three rounds of this now I simply don't wish to disable any more in case I lose settings or content.

How can I troubleshoot the problem?

Accepted answer

Many thanks. It was indeed a module causing javascript problems, namely FAQ Field. I've deleted the module and have now got the site upgraded.

Fortunately the FAQ field was only used on one page so I can rebuild it using Paragraphs.

Thanks for your time and advice.

Most helpful answers

Some project is trying to load JQuery and not finding it. May be a theme issue? Could you try removing any themes from the theme folder and see. If that doesnt work, perhaps list your custom modules here so we can have a look and think.

Comments

Yes, the Update page is not loading the jquery.js file, as I discovered (error message: Uncaught ReferenceError: jQuery is not defined).

But I'm unable to fix. I've no idea why it doesn't load. I've emptied caches, deleted cookies, checked directory permissions and I can't think of any reason why the page does not load up the jquery.js file when it loads other javascript files, like backdrop.js and script.js files.

Some project is trying to load JQuery and not finding it. May be a theme issue? Could you try removing any themes from the theme folder and see. If that doesnt work, perhaps list your custom modules here so we can have a look and think.

Many thanks. It was indeed a module causing javascript problems, namely FAQ Field. I've deleted the module and have now got the site upgraded.

Fortunately the FAQ field was only used on one page so I can rebuild it using Paragraphs.

Thanks for your time and advice.