We are looking to convert at least 12 working sites that are using a different CMS over to Backdrop.

What we want to find out is an easy way to build one or more test sites in sub directories, as if we were "staging" them.  Once they are ready for public viewing, clone them and move them to the root directory for public viewing.

Using other CMS programs, we typically use the "clone and/or staging" options offered through the CP on all of our servers, but since Backdrop doesn't offer that option YET, we would like to find out of there is an "add on" or module that will assist us in this effort, especially since in some cases, we may even end up moving a couple of the sites to multiple servers.

Thanks

FTW

Accepted answer

This is how I create sites as a subdomain, when the site is ready I will drag the files via FTP into the root folder and it works straight away.

I will then take a backup of the files and database and create a test site from that.

For example, I will create a subdomain with the CP, something like new.testsite.com and create a subfolder called public_html/subdomains/new and point the subdomain to the folder.  

I've currently 25 Backdrop sites live with another 33 Drupal sites I am recreating/migrating.

Hope this helps.

Comments

This is how I create sites as a subdomain, when the site is ready I will drag the files via FTP into the root folder and it works straight away.

I will then take a backup of the files and database and create a test site from that.

For example, I will create a subdomain with the CP, something like new.testsite.com and create a subfolder called public_html/subdomains/new and point the subdomain to the folder.  

I've currently 25 Backdrop sites live with another 33 Drupal sites I am recreating/migrating.

Hope this helps.

DrAlbany, We want to thank you for the feedback. We have set up one primary site and are currently loading data in it.

Hopefully, once we get through the learning curve, we will be able to clone it and tie it into other sites so that we can share data back and forth.

I read something briefly about synchronizing configuration between sites and will get deeper into that procedure once we figure out if we will be using the gallery and forum on Backdrop or continue using our existing add-on programs.