yorkshirepudding's picture

I think the practice of using subdomains for each function of backdropcms.org is creating a usability issue in the form of the number of separate logins required.

Since being involved, I have had to create separate accounts at survey, events and forum.  Assuming people engaged with Backdrop may engage in all these ways, I would suggest having them all under the main domain could simplify matters for members.

Accepted answer

Normally using the same login credentials for multiple sites isn't a good idea, but since we're working towards a single sign-on solution for all Backdrop sites, I figure it's ok.

I've therefore setup the same username & password for myself for all Backdrop sites. And since I've saved each login in my browser, I now have my own poor-man's SSO solution for Backdrop 😁

At least until one of these is implemented:

Comments

Normally using the same login credentials for multiple sites isn't a good idea, but since we're working towards a single sign-on solution for all Backdrop sites, I figure it's ok.

I've therefore setup the same username & password for myself for all Backdrop sites. And since I've saved each login in my browser, I now have my own poor-man's SSO solution for Backdrop 😁

At least until one of these is implemented:

I would suggest having them all under the main domain could simplify matters for members.

For the record, I think it'd be more work to do this than to just get SSO working...

Thanks @bwpanda I wasn't aware that an SSO was on the way. That sounds like a good solution. I'm doing the same (i.e. single login)

If SSO is in the works for Backdrop, does anyone have a time frame for when it will be available?

I would also like to find out if it can be used to connect users from backdrop on "mysite.com" to coppermine on "mysite.org" and phpbb on "mysiteforum.com?

If it won't work, has anyone here tried https://github.com/jasny/sso on multiple sites, including a backdrop based site and a second domain name using a forum or gallery?

Thanks

FTW

What I would find useful (maybe it already exists, and I'm just a knucklehead) would be links in the menu of each site that provide a one-click entry into the other site(s). I have no problem with multiple sign-ins.

See the footer:

Ha Ha! I knew it would be something that simple. My powers of observation astound me daily!