Forgive the perhaps obvious questions, but I have no Drupal background and with Backdrop having a small user base (hopefully it will grow as people realise you exist) I can't search for answers. I'm a Systems Engineer more used to managing whole networks, but I'm assisting a small charity I'm a member of, because the previous members tasked with things like website had no IT knowledge. First aim is mostly replicating the Wordpress website out from under the developer holding them to ransom, then will come CiviCRM etc, so getting the foundation right is why I chose Backdrop. To be fair, budget is also a foreign word, as membership is around 200 with no paid employees, so I get to increase my knowledge, and they get something for (sort of) nothing.

So, first question of probably a few:

When creating a page, and I want to add a PDF for example, for people to be able to download it, uh... what am I missing? Images yes I can insert those, so I'm presuming a content type needs to be created or something? I've seen the settings for public/private file paths, but currently I can only see FTP'ing the file to the server, then sticking the URL into the page.

In my dev site I did impress the shit of out myself stumbling through creating visibility conditions on secondary menus for authenticated users and used the Directory Listing module to show the directory etc, but need something for people that aren't logged in.

Comments

drop's picture

Forgive the perhaps obvious questions, but I have no Drupal background and with Backdrop having a small user base (hopefully it will grow as people realise you exist) I can't search for answers.

You are in the right place, that's exactly what this Forum is for :)

When creating a page, and I want to add a PDF for example, for people to be able to download it, uh... what am I missing?

I'd recommend adding a File field to the Page content type under admin/structure/types/manage/page/fields. There are many ways to allow a PDF to be attached, but this is by far the most straightforward. Once the field is added to the page content type, Files can be added to any page on the site :)

Have a look at the new feature in Backdrop release 1.10.0 for inserting links in WYSIWYG.

If a user has been given permission to upload files using the editor they can use 'Insert link' to upload and link to a PDF file.