<span class="handle"></span>

<span class="text"><?php print t('Row'); ?></span>

<?php if ($region_buttons): ?>

<span class="buttons">

<?php print $region_buttons[$name]; ?>

</span>

<?php endif; ?>

</div>

in the layout--flexible.tpl.php file under core/modules/layout/templates renders to all pages. Also, it appears as if the handle should do something and it doesn't. Is this a bug or something I can override?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Accepted answer

As @stpaultim said, this is a bug. You have at least three options to fix this while a new release is prepared:

Option 1: apply a patch

Applying a patch requires some technical knowledge, and "shell access" to your hosting or your local environment. You may be able to find the steps  by doing a search on the internet (I will write a rough guide in the next few days in this forum for people who may not be familiar with this process). You can download the "diff" file here, which is basically the permalink to the patch (you can find a clearer formatting done for human eyes here)

Option 2: manually modify the file

Use the links I have in the above option and manually edit the file by changing the lines. You will basically remove lines that have a "-" sign there, and add the ones with a "+" (but be sure not to type of "-" or the "+").

Option 3: download the previous version of Backdrop, and use the old file layout--flexible.tpl.php

The old layout--flexible.tpl.php will actually work with release 1.20.2. This is not ideal, but it's the easier solution for someone who doesn't want to mess up with the other two options. It's definitely not an ideal solution, as you may be introducing some security risks from previous versions, BUT in this case, that's not the case. You can find previous releases here.

Good luck!

Comments

As @stpaultim said, this is a bug. You have at least three options to fix this while a new release is prepared:

Option 1: apply a patch

Applying a patch requires some technical knowledge, and "shell access" to your hosting or your local environment. You may be able to find the steps  by doing a search on the internet (I will write a rough guide in the next few days in this forum for people who may not be familiar with this process). You can download the "diff" file here, which is basically the permalink to the patch (you can find a clearer formatting done for human eyes here)

Option 2: manually modify the file

Use the links I have in the above option and manually edit the file by changing the lines. You will basically remove lines that have a "-" sign there, and add the ones with a "+" (but be sure not to type of "-" or the "+").

Option 3: download the previous version of Backdrop, and use the old file layout--flexible.tpl.php

The old layout--flexible.tpl.php will actually work with release 1.20.2. This is not ideal, but it's the easier solution for someone who doesn't want to mess up with the other two options. It's definitely not an ideal solution, as you may be introducing some security risks from previous versions, BUT in this case, that's not the case. You can find previous releases here.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the help argiepiano!  Before I posted I considered option #3 so I'm glad to see it's a potential solution if not a recommended one.  I'll def make an attempt at the appropriate method (patch or modify the file) and I would find a tutorial on how to apply a patch extremely helpful.  Got to love this community!  My approach to date has been to research and give it a go in my local environment.  I'm fairly competent when it comes to site administration and straight up HTML & CSS but have little experience with PHP though it seems somewhat readable by human standards.

Thanks again!

indigoxela's picture

A small addition to option three:

The previous version of that file can also get downloaded directly from Github:

layout--flexible.tpl.php

No need to download the full Backdrop zip file.

Download that file and upload via FTP to your install into the core/modules/layout/templates/ directory.

There's no security risk with that file, as the only difference is, that the previous version does not contain that bug. (The security fix is about the CKEditor library.)

Downgrading your whole install is not recommended. That single template file does the trick.

As a quick fix before I found the offending line in the template and removed it, I added this to my themes CSS

.layout-editor-block-title {
    display: none;
}

Not sure if this would work in all cases... but it worked for me.

A security release broke flexible layouts, and we don't have a fix release after 10 days?!?

Really?

drop's picture

This should be fixed in the latest release of Backdrop CMS. If you are still experiencing this problem, please upgrade to version 1.20.3.