I just started using Backdrop and am wondering how I can get 'Pages' to post a teaser to the home page, like the "Post" does. (I did a quick search here but couldn't find anything. If it's already been solved, just point me in the right direction.)

Also, what is specifically the difference between the two?

Thanks.

Lee

Accepted answer

The front page has a "view" of all content that has been checked as "promoted (to front page)". The problem you have is that by default you are not permitted to "promote" pages, only posts. However, this is easily changed. 

1) Go to /admin/structure/types/manage/page to edit the setting for the Page content type. 

2) Under "Publishing Options" select the radio button for "Show option to promote" and save changes.

3) Go to the content menu and edit your "About" page. Check the "promoted" button near bottom of edit page. 

4) Go to the home page and you will see a teaser of the About page. 

Check out this video that explains in more detail how that front page view works and how you can modify it in a variety of ways.
https://youtu.be/dryQK3Pv7Q0

Posts are intended to be "articles" or "blog posts" that you might want to list and/or display in different places. Whereas Pages are intended to be content in the form of an entire page, such as the "about" page on a site or "history." Backdrop assumes that you might want to "promote" an article to the front page, but does not make the same assumption about a page. However, you can change either content type to do what you want. 

If you need help understanding Content Types:

Most helpful answers

One way to do this is:

1. Create your page
  2. Edit the "Teaser" display mode here: admin/structure/types/manage/page/display to show the fields you want to show in the way you want to show them
  3. Edit the layout of the home page here: admin/structure/layouts/manage/home
  4. In there, click "Add a block" in the Content area and select "Existing content"
  5. Enter the title in the search box to find it, and select "Teaser"

That's it. Another way is to create a new View with a Block display that shows one or more pages, and place that block in the home page as described in #4 and #5

Comments

One way to do this is:

1. Create your page
  2. Edit the "Teaser" display mode here: admin/structure/types/manage/page/display to show the fields you want to show in the way you want to show them
  3. Edit the layout of the home page here: admin/structure/layouts/manage/home
  4. In there, click "Add a block" in the Content area and select "Existing content"
  5. Enter the title in the search box to find it, and select "Teaser"

That's it. Another way is to create a new View with a Block display that shows one or more pages, and place that block in the home page as described in #4 and #5

The front page has a "view" of all content that has been checked as "promoted (to front page)". The problem you have is that by default you are not permitted to "promote" pages, only posts. However, this is easily changed. 

1) Go to /admin/structure/types/manage/page to edit the setting for the Page content type. 

2) Under "Publishing Options" select the radio button for "Show option to promote" and save changes.

3) Go to the content menu and edit your "About" page. Check the "promoted" button near bottom of edit page. 

4) Go to the home page and you will see a teaser of the About page. 

Check out this video that explains in more detail how that front page view works and how you can modify it in a variety of ways.
https://youtu.be/dryQK3Pv7Q0

Posts are intended to be "articles" or "blog posts" that you might want to list and/or display in different places. Whereas Pages are intended to be content in the form of an entire page, such as the "about" page on a site or "history." Backdrop assumes that you might want to "promote" an article to the front page, but does not make the same assumption about a page. However, you can change either content type to do what you want. 

If you need help understanding Content Types:

Bingo! That worked just fine! And made it a permanent option! Thank you very much!

I must say I was surprised how fast you both answered. Thanks again!

EDITED:

I will add some screen shots to my previous answer.

The other answers provided are also legitimate ways of posting a teaser on the front page. There are different solutions to this problem, depending upon your specific needs. 

I am glad that we were able to help. Please, feel free to post more questions, but you might not always get an answer quite this fast. 

:-)

Thanks. But I have already figured it out.