I have these questions for clarity running the update AGAIN after the initial D7 -> BD update. I'm fine running that the first time.

What to do to the BD site besides dropping (emptying) the database.

We will do a full export of the config. Do we delete the config directory or does the update script rewrite the existing one?

Do we keep the db credentials as is, and then settings.php stays as is?

Most helpful answers

I believe she was referring to running update.php again on the migrated database (i.e. the database as it ended up after the first run, without emptying it), just in case any of the hook_update_N for any of the modules failed the first time. 

Comments

I'm not clear why you want to run update again.

Do you mean to repeat the migration from "0" again? If so, you'll need to drop the Backdrop database that resulted from the first migration, and import again the D7 database. I'd remove the config directory so that the migration recreates it, but I'm not sure if this is necessary. settings.php should stay. 

I'm not clear why you want to run update again.

In Jen's instructional videos, she usually talks about running the update multiple times, specifically in the end. I had cleaned up the D7 db a bit more, and wanted to import it freshly into the BD codebase again, and then import the config that I had just exported (before the new D7 import), which supposedly would bring the BD site up to date with all the work I had done on it.

Your response seems spot on, thanks @argiepiano, I'm just surprised you hadn't heard of this about the D7 upgrade to BD, have you done one?

Good. Yes, I've done migrations from D7 to Backdrop. I just did not fully understand your question. 

BTW, if you want to run the update script a second time on a migrated site, then just do it by going to "example.com/update.php" - you don't need to empty the database. If you empty the database, you'll start the migration process from scratch.

Thanks, I've asked that question when I first started!

Now I'm not sure why I would want to just run update.php I think it may help to put things in order, that I don't yet understand. I'd get that eventually updating a module. I'd like to understand which method Jen has been referring to in her videos.

Thanks again :-)

I believe she was referring to running update.php again on the migrated database (i.e. the database as it ended up after the first run, without emptying it), just in case any of the hook_update_N for any of the modules failed the first time.