I know that it is possible to use a custom install profile with Backdrop CMS, much as you would with Drupal. Except that there is no opportunity to select an install profile during installation. 

How does one choose something other than the custom install profile in Backdrop CMS?

Accepted answer

I did a little research and figured this out. 

There are two install profiles in core, standard and minimal. 

The minimal profile is not shown during installation, because of this setting in the .info file. 

If you remove this, you will be given an option to use either the standard or minimal install profile. 

If you have a custom install profile, you should create a "profiles" directory in the root folder of your site (outside of core) and put your custom install profile there. If it does not have this "hidden" setting, they you should have the option to use it during the installation process.

Comments

The install profile screen of the install process is skipped by default because Standard is the only non-hidden profile out-of-the-box. If you download a contrib/custom profile to the appropriate directory, then the install profile screen should show up. That is, unless the new profile is set to 'exclusive' (in which case it'll be selected automatically and that step skipped), or 'hidden' (in which case Standard will still be the only option and so the step will be skipped)...

I did a little research and figured this out. 

There are two install profiles in core, standard and minimal. 

The minimal profile is not shown during installation, because of this setting in the .info file. 

If you remove this, you will be given an option to use either the standard or minimal install profile. 

If you have a custom install profile, you should create a "profiles" directory in the root folder of your site (outside of core) and put your custom install profile there. If it does not have this "hidden" setting, they you should have the option to use it during the installation process.