The developer and host that changed our site from drupal 7 to Backdrop insisted on limiting file uploads to 2MB whilst we used his hosting services, which is a major reason we took our site elsewhere.  On the new site the hosts and I have tried to reconfigure from 2MB to 12MB by going to structure > file settings>  maximum upload size and this change was 'saved', however when I try to upload a file over 2MB I still get the message that "The specified file PPCC_Newsletter_October_2022.pdf could not be uploaded. The file is 2.13 MB exceeding the maximum file size of 2 MB."

The new hosts cannot fix this. They say that it looks like a problem with backdrop cms, as if something is hardcoded in their system and they have advised me to tell backdrop about this problem.

Can anyone help us?

Thank you.

Accepted answer

Dear ArgiePiano,

I followed your instructions and have fixed the problem for that blog and assume for all blogs.

Thank you very much!  This is a great relief. It is the first time I have used this forum and I did not expect such fast and helpful replies.

You have taken a load off my shoulders this morning.

Sheila N

Comments

bugfolder's picture

In addition to the file settings you set, there is also a maximum file size that can be set for individual fields, like a File field added to the Page content type. But if you go to /file/add, you should see the maximum upload size from your settings. Does it show 12MB there, but you still encounter the 2MB limit?

And just to confirm, what is the setting for upload_max_filesize seen at admin/reports/status/php?

Yours and the other two responses have been incredibly helpful. 

The setting was 12MB on info.php. Admin/reports/status/php gives the same values, i.e. has not changed since I changed the limit on file uploads for blogs.

Thank you so much. :-)

Sheila N

@astridnova - Sorry that you are having difficulties. There are a number of places where the file upload size might be limited. 

1) Sometimes this is a PHP limit that needs to be configured at the server level. In this case, it has nothing to do with Backdrop CMS and is a server configuration. 

This is unlikely the case, since you are working with your host to resolve this problem. 

2) You can also set a site wide maximum upload size at: admin/structure/file-types/settings. This is where you already made a change, so this is probably not what we are looking for today. 

3) Finally, on any individual file field on a content type can set a maximum file upload size. For example, your article content type might have a file field with it's own maximum file size. 

It sounds like you have ruled out #1 and #2. Please, try #3 and see if that helps. 

If you are still stuck, I recommend dropping into our weekly office hours (see right hand column). I suspect this is something that we can help you with. 

#3 helped.  Your response was very comprehensive and worked.

Thanks a lot. Amazed at how quickly I got help on this.

I will be attending the conference, and I will no doubt try this forum out again soon.

Sheila N

As @bugfolder said, this may be a setting in a File field, attached to a content type. File fields can override the setting in File settings. To see the setting for field fields in content types, go to Structure > Content types and click on Manage fields for the content type you are using to post your newsletter. Find the file field, and click Configure. Look for Maximum upload size

Dear ArgiePiano,

I followed your instructions and have fixed the problem for that blog and assume for all blogs.

Thank you very much!  This is a great relief. It is the first time I have used this forum and I did not expect such fast and helpful replies.

You have taken a load off my shoulders this morning.

Sheila N