Does anybody else have the problem with the user profile image size settings being ignored?
If I set user pictures in admin/config/people/settings, and settings like this:

The user pictures are uploadable, but in the user profiles are full resolution, unscaled, as if the 300x300 scaled down was ignored. I checked with a D7 installation and it did the scaling.

Accepted answer

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I'm not seeing what you describe. I reproduced your settings (see image)

Then I uploaded an image with an original width of 1900 x 1900. The image is displayed according to the "Thumbnail" setting under "Picture display style" as expected (see image).

When I inspect the actual file in Structure > Manage files, I see that the image has been correctly scaled to 300 x 300 (see image)

(Manage files):

Most helpful answers

I don't have Structure > Manage files. Is this something really new?

I have not looked at this entire issue, but I can clarify that "Manage Files" is under the "Content" menu. 

Comments

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I'm not seeing what you describe. I reproduced your settings (see image)

Then I uploaded an image with an original width of 1900 x 1900. The image is displayed according to the "Thumbnail" setting under "Picture display style" as expected (see image).

When I inspect the actual file in Structure > Manage files, I see that the image has been correctly scaled to 300 x 300 (see image)

(Manage files):

Digging into the file system I can see that the files are actually created per image style, so as I first thought nginx config was faulty, it isn't...

I'll play with the theme layer, as maybe it's there.

Edit: Sure enough... it's theming that I'd screwed up. 

I have not looked at this entire issue, but I can clarify that "Manage Files" is under the "Content" menu. 

Sorry, I meant Content > Manage files.

Glad you found the problem.