drop's picture

Please use this topic to suggest agenda items for our weekly meetings.

This week we will be having a Design/UX meeting followed by the weekly Dev meeting. 

See more information about our weekly meetings.

Comments

I think it MIGHT be nice to spend some time in the developer meeting talking about "distributions" or whatever else we might decide to call them in the future. 

Graham Leach is making a strong case that we should talk about "Editions" instead of "Distributions" in a topic in Zulip. 
https://backdrop.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/218635-Backdrop/topic/Dist...

Also, Kevin has actually created a distribution in our contrib space and he may be requiring us to make some infrastructure decisions/changes in the near future. 

I don't believe that BackdropCMS currently accomodates distributions/editions. What needs to happen?

See: https://github.com/backdrop-contrib/express

Specifically, this issue:
https://github.com/backdrop-contrib/express/issues/1

I planning on attending this meeting (kids willing). Because we will be developing this initially as a Pantheon Upstream, we don't actually need Backdrop to change anything. I'm only helping Tim Stalker with the Express Install Profile migration in as much as it overlaps with the work I'm doing to scope out the effort required to upgrade some of the cu.edu sites still on D7.

We're mainly approaching this as an install profile because that's what it is now, but that may not even be necessary or provide a benefit over installing Backdrop w/ a Standard Profile and then enabling a "super" module that triggers the dependency installs.

It would be great for CU staff with Pantheon access to be able to spin up new Backdrop sites from the Pantheon Dashboard without having to authenticate into the CMS post-install and enable additional modules, but that's not an MVP requirement. 

For the Outreach committee, I think we should talk about the proposal to create a new Marketing Committee and replace the Outreach meeting with a Community meeting. 

1. Marketing Committee
    1. What is it?
    2. Who will participate?
    3. How will it function?
    4. When and how will it meet? Will meetings be recorded?
  2. Community Meeting
    1. The proposal is to have bi-weekly community discussions. These discussions may be something similar to Backdrop LIVE discussions, but they would be recorded and available on YouTube for folks who want to keep up with community happenings. 

2. Personally, I envision a "What's new?" segment with Core, Contrib, and Community updates. Along with a designed topic each time, some possible ideas:
      1. What is the future of install profiles or distributions in the Backdrop community?
      2. Development tools, scripts, etc for core and contrib developers. Greg and others can show off the tools/scripts they use for core/contrib contribution. 
      3. Case studies - invite developers and site owners to show off their latest Backdrop CMS sites and talk about why they chose Backdrop, the decisions or obsticales they overcame along the way, special tools or features they implemented in the site. 
      4. Running a Backdrop related business
      5. Monitoring and improving the performance of your Backdrop CMS site
      6. Analytics for Backdrop sites
      7. Almost anything that might happen at Backdrop LIVE, could also happen at one of our community meetings.
    3. Other ideas for format and/or topics?