Back story - learning Backdrop, coming to grips with it, have only one user who is the admin. Wanted to check site as guest user so I logged out. Now cannot log in - can see entries in Flood table for my user and IP - tried emptying table - still not able to log in. Tried to use password-hash.sh to generate new password, thinking I could drop it into place via phpmyadmin - it won't generate new password. After much frustration I dropped the database and imported backup taken early yesterday. This didn't help - still unable to log in and flood is again populated with 4 entries each for my user and IP.

Also tried to use password reset feature but this is not mailing out an email - think this might be realted to the fact user is admin?

Any help for me so I avoid starting from scratch with a new empty install of Backdrop?

Using:   Linux on Debian 10 VPS, php-fpm 7.3, Backdrop (version unknown - downloaded 4 weeks ago)

Accepted answer

Ok - following the hints above and after reading some pages that were referred to I got into the site again by setting up a second admin user via phpmyadmin. I used the drupal 7 password-hash script to generate a password for that user as I could not get the Backdrop password-hash script to work. This seems to have allowed me to access the site and change the default admin user password.

Still no idea what I did to lock myself out... doh! Onward and Upward...

Comments

What kind of message are you getting when you are trying to log in?

Thanks for the quick reply...

No immediate message - password box goes red

- got to Home page and I can see a list of errors "Sorry, incorrect password. Have you forgotten your password?"

- following option to password reset does not appear to generate an email....

Also, is this a local development environment? Any way to get something like MailHog to capture the outgoing email with the password reset email? I use MAMP and MailHog locally and it works well for capturing emails sent by the dev site.

Not local environment - its my debian VPS on which I run several sites in drupal, Wordpress, etc. I'll look at mailhog

Tim - thanks for the reply - I use command interface all the time on the server - use drush occasionally but only to update modules on D7. Will look at the link....

Tim - I have 2 instances of drush - 10.3.2-dev for Drupal 9 and 8.4.12-dev for Drupal 7 and Backdrop.

Drush 8 is in ~/DrushApps/drush8 and aliased(?) as drush8 so that drush8 status reports the status of Drush 8.

"drush8 uli" reports - "We could not find an applicable site for that command" when run from /var/www/test.com/htdocs/backdrop.

Ok - following the hints above and after reading some pages that were referred to I got into the site again by setting up a second admin user via phpmyadmin. I used the drupal 7 password-hash script to generate a password for that user as I could not get the Backdrop password-hash script to work. This seems to have allowed me to access the site and change the default admin user password.

Still no idea what I did to lock myself out... doh! Onward and Upward...