robertgarrigos's picture

I'm using Notify and Node notify modules to send notifications of new content and new comments to users. I'm also using smtp module. I would like to send those messages as html mails, but don't see mimemail is ready for that (many issues plus a particular issue with smtp). Has anyone solved this matter?

Thanks.

Robert

Most helpful answers

node_notify does send html emails and doesn't require notify. Do you need also the notify module?

As for formatting, mimemail will use the mail.css file located in your theme's css folder. I would place it in both your front end and your backend themes.

Comments

Hi...,

Mimemail and Mail System are the two I use to send HTML mail, I don't use the SMTP module though.

Hope this helps.

Olafski's picture

Interesting! I remember it wasn't easy to add SMTP to the D7 site, but I've managed it somehow, so I hope it'll work in Backdrop as well. Will report back after the upgrade.

I have been using both mimemail and smtp just fine for the last year with Backdrop. Have you tested it? I can't remember if I needed to patch any of them...

robertgarrigos's picture

That's interesting because the issue queue gives a rather different impression. I'll give it a try.

A key aspect of making this work was to use Mailsystem, and to configure it correctly. This is the current configuration:

Also, making sure that you check " Allow to send e-mails formatted as Html" in the SMTP configuration ui.

robertgarrigos's picture

Well, it looks like smtp and mimemail are working well together, despite all the issues about not doing so.

Now, the question would be how to form the notification mails as html. They are sent as html now, but cannot format them to look prettier. I see, for instance, that notify module uses the backdrop_html_to_text() function to build the mail body, so it would need some code work to be able to send html formatted mail with notify. Any ideas?

node_notify does send html emails and doesn't require notify. Do you need also the notify module?

As for formatting, mimemail will use the mail.css file located in your theme's css folder. I would place it in both your front end and your backend themes.

robertgarrigos's picture

I didn't know about the mail.css. That will be useful.

I also wanted to be able to get notified of new content types, not just comments. I believe I can only get this with notity. Isn't?