Some of my menus have hierarchical submenus, and they aren't working. The little triangle appears but clicking on it doesn't do anything.

Is this supposed to work right out of the box, or do I have to do something to make it work? I am using a bootstrap-based sub-theme.

Thanks.

Most helpful answers

If you are not using any additional module (just Backdrop), the triangle will not open the submenu. You have to click on the link to show the hierarchy. I assume you are using theme Bartik from the look. 

Comments

If you are not using any additional module (just Backdrop), the triangle will not open the submenu. You have to click on the link to show the hierarchy. I assume you are using theme Bartik from the look. 

Thanks for your quick response.

I am not getting that behavior though, using Bartik for testing purposes. E.g. the Management menu begins with these items:

Content 

- Manage comments

User account

Appearance

- Bartik settings

- Bootstrap settings 

But, if I click the "Content" or "Appearance" link on the menu in the sidebar block, i.e.

Then I don't get the sub-menu items but rather the main links. So "Content" goes to the admin/content page (where "Manage comments" is a tab) and "Appearance" goes to admin/appearance with no option to directly select the sub-menu items "Bartik settings" etc.

So ... it doesn't behave like a hierarchical menu but simply like a set of top-level menu links.

Any suggestions? I did flush all caches after changing the theme to Bartik.

Olafski's picture

Have you set the "Maximum depth" of the menu to more than 1? If not, setting it to a higher number or to Unlimited might help. See screenshot:

Menu depth setting

@Olafski - Thank you. Yes, it is set to "Unlimited."

One more detail. If I set the block config to "Dropdown" then I do see the sub-menus when I hover over the top-level link.

I'm trying using Seven and changing the Default Administration Layout to use another layout template, and adding the management menu to a sidebar block to mimik what you are doing.

When I click Appearance, it does show the children. HOWEVER, not all children are shown (see snapshot) - only the configuration link for Basis.

So, yes, if you disable Basis, then you'll see no children in this menu. The other two options under Appearance are "Install new themes" and "List themes", both of which are tabs (that is, they are MENU_LOCAL_TASKS in hook_menu lingo). So, those will not be normally shown in menu trees (except when you manually add them, which is what the  administration toolbar does, programmatically).

@argiepiano - I'm not sure I understand. In my case, I have 4 enabled themes: Bartik, Seven (Admin theme), Bootstrap Lite, and my custom theme. So it seems like it should be showing some child items.

Also, I am not seeing ANY child menu items, on any of the menus. I just picked the Management menu as an example since it's a standard one.

One more data point. If I set the settings for the menu to Hierarchical tree and check "Show all menu links" then these child menu items DO appear though it makes a ridiculously long menu block that way. See images below pls. So I don't get why it doesn't open up the list of child links when I click on the parent item.

For the Management menu, it doesn't really matter because (as you say) I can get it from the admin toolbar. For the other I can workaround by setting "Show all menu links" because visitors won't see that menu.