Is there a way to store and manage folders full of images on a server large enough to cope? It seems that BD throws everything into the files folder, and there is no folder management beyond that.

Accepted answer

Never mind; I found that the venerable IMCE module is available and combined with changing the default directory that an Image field attached to a content type picks from, this will work.

Comments

It might help if you say a little more about your situation. 

In general, you can organize your images inside of the files folder when you set the path for each image field. You can configure Backdrop CMS to put the user images in their own directory, the images for posts in their own directly, the images for events in their own directory.

But, I suspect that your use case or need might be a little different than what I'm describing. Can you say a little more?

Thanks.

I'm building a site for a non-profit that has elderly women do their data-entry. The nodes of the site will be created by them, and they will need to pick from images already in the site, due to the rigmarole of grabbing them from elsewhere. Hence I am looking at a a subfolder tree of Files that categorises the images that they can pick in the Ckeditor image picker.

Never mind; I found that the venerable IMCE module is available and combined with changing the default directory that an Image field attached to a content type picks from, this will work.