Is there any group type implementation currently available for BD-CMS? Our non-profit wants to set up areas for our working groups to discuss topical issues and work on a project  together in between same place/same time meetings. We are developing a Drupal 7 site and using Organic Groups. We want to control permissions to files and other entities by group as well.

I think separate forums with CRUD permissions would bring us close. 

Thanks,

Saroj

Most helpful answers

Done an intitial port. I've only done enough so it doesnt crash on install, have not checked if it works at all, and havent even tried installing any of the submodules.

https://github.com/backdrop-contrib/group

At least now those who need it can test and report issues.

Comments

Neither Organic Groups nor Group have been ported yet. Probably because no one has needed them so far. I think that Group might be the better candidate.

I really liked what I saw with "group". I also listened to a long discussion by Kristien? I know that's not exactly his name, but close, However the person doing most of the web site work is dead set on Organic Groups and I don't know enough about either Drupal nor Backdrop to port a complicated module (or maybe any module) over. I think we'll probably proceed with Drupal 7 because he is so close to being completed and then look at moving into Backdrop 6 months from now. 

I'm going to try and get Group module ported to the point where it installs without crashing, and put it up on GitHub so we can work on it. I think it should be a useful module for our demographic.

good to hear... I hope some day to have sufficient knowledge to help out on this and others!

I was really excited about this new CMS because I was working in Drupal 7 so far and 8 was not ... But it would be OG.

Can not install one at a time? Have Drupal 7 Modules Converted to Backdrop?

(translation  by Google)

Done an intitial port. I've only done enough so it doesnt crash on install, have not checked if it works at all, and havent even tried installing any of the submodules.

https://github.com/backdrop-contrib/group

At least now those who need it can test and report issues.

good to hear... I'll be following progress...

Try it out, thanks!
This is not the reorganization of Organic Groups, but the Group module for Drupal 8?

(translation  by Google)

I installed the Gorup module. Unfortunately, it was an error message immediately.

Notice: Undefined property: GroupType::$title GroupType->label()
(...)
\modules\group-1.x-1.x\classes\group_type.inc 37 sor).

Fatal error: Call to undefined function entity_access() in
(...)
\modules\group-1.x-1.x\group.router.inc on line 66

(translation  by Google)

Please open a new issue on the GitHub repository for any problems. Include as much information as you can. State what URL you tried to access when you got the error.

Just noticing this discussion. I've used the Group module for both D7 and D8 projects, so it's exciting to see it here on Backdrop. I'll take a look at it ASAP.

If anyone else comes here hoping to hear about Organic Groups being ported - would a port of the D7 version be sufficient, knowing that the D8 version has been pretty substantially revised? Or would you be looking for a fork that tries to recreate some of those changes?

I think the D7 version is sufficient for most people.

Personally I need to set up a D7 installation to review Group. Some of the sites I work on that currently use OG are pretty bound up with the group being content in its own right, some not so much. I haven't looked at it enough to know what other differences there are.

Just wanted to let folks know that there is work being done on a port of Organic Groups.

See: https://github.com/laryn/og

@laryn is looking for testers and feedback.