I just found out about Backdrop: I'm impressed. Like many, I really don't want to move from D7 -> D10 (just too many changes). I have several sites with Zen sub-themes; is there an existing Backdrop theme that is similar? Are there any core themes that will not be added to Backdrop 2.0? 

I'm currently playing around with Bartik (more known than other Backdrop themes). If there is nothing like Zen, then what would be the best theme to use as a sub-theme. Is Basis an easy theme to learn? I'm mostly used to blocks; need to learn about layouts and cards.

Most helpful answers

@joemaine

Cards are the only core content type that are configured to "Hide path display". 

This means that any Card nodes will not be accessible via a normal path to unauthenticated users, but that the content can be used in blocks and views. 

On a default site, the "Organize Your Content" node is at `node/5`. Editors can access this node, but unauthenticated users can not. They will get a 'Page not found' error. However, the site editor can expose this content to site vistors by creating a view or using an 'Existing content' block. 

Think about an FAQ. You might create a node for each question and answer and display all your FAQ content in a view, but you probably don't want site visitors clinking through to find an entire page for a specific question.

I used Zen a lot with Drupal 7 as well and liked it. There is no port of Zen, in fact not many Drupal themes have been ported to Backdrop CMS, because theming in Backdrop is quite different from Drupal 7. 

I recommend watching some videos about Layouts for Backdrop CMS. Backdrop has split the layout system from the theme system. Themes are much more like skins that focus on CSS and Javascript. Layouts are usually handled outside of the theme and take a little getting used to. Layouts are the single biggest change from Drupal 7 that you will have to deal with.

This intro might help you understand Layouts better.
https://youtu.be/0ZNYnZZdVFY?si=u7WSnz65R_S93MZf

What did you like most about Zen?

Comments

Basis is the most modern and as easy as Bartik. Bartik is still there for backwards compatibility. I've usually sub themed from Basis. But also Bootstrap 5 theme.

I don't know if anyone has attempted to port Zen.

I used Zen a lot with Drupal 7 as well and liked it. There is no port of Zen, in fact not many Drupal themes have been ported to Backdrop CMS, because theming in Backdrop is quite different from Drupal 7. 

I recommend watching some videos about Layouts for Backdrop CMS. Backdrop has split the layout system from the theme system. Themes are much more like skins that focus on CSS and Javascript. Layouts are usually handled outside of the theme and take a little getting used to. Layouts are the single biggest change from Drupal 7 that you will have to deal with.

This intro might help you understand Layouts better.
https://youtu.be/0ZNYnZZdVFY?si=u7WSnz65R_S93MZf

What did you like most about Zen?

I don't think I said that I liked Zen :-)

It's just that I used it on a couple of fairly large sites and was comfortable with it. Learning layouts has got to be easier than learning D10. I have a lot to learn about Backdrop; especially how it works with Views and Taxonomy.

Thanks for the link to the Layouts video - it helped quite a bit.

I think I've got a handle on Layouts. What is the difference between Cards and Blocks? 

@joemaine

Cards are the only core content type that are configured to "Hide path display". 

This means that any Card nodes will not be accessible via a normal path to unauthenticated users, but that the content can be used in blocks and views. 

On a default site, the "Organize Your Content" node is at `node/5`. Editors can access this node, but unauthenticated users can not. They will get a 'Page not found' error. However, the site editor can expose this content to site vistors by creating a view or using an 'Existing content' block. 

Think about an FAQ. You might create a node for each question and answer and display all your FAQ content in a view, but you probably don't want site visitors clinking through to find an entire page for a specific question.

@JoeMaine - One of the things I used to like about Zen, was that it came bundled with SASS starter kits that were easy for me to use. 

I believe that there might be one or two Backdrop CMS themes that come with a SASS starter kit. BUT, SASS is growing less popular as CSS gets better, so I don't know if that is such a good selling point today.l

If you are still interested in the Zen theme. Take a look at this port request and potentially express your interest. Maybe Jen or someone else will undertake the challenge. 

https://github.com/backdrop-ops/contrib/issues/782