If there is sufficient interest, I would be willing and interested in facilitating a virtual BackdropCMS user group to cover topics such as:

• Config Management
  • Theming in BackdropCMS
  • The layout system in BackdropCMS
  • How to contribute to BackdropCMS core
  • Most useful BackdropCMS contrib modules
  • Etc. 

I am envisioning a 45-60 minute discussion format with participants exchanging their own experiences, ideas, and questions. In some cases, we might lead off with a short prepared presentation. 

I expect that we might hold these user group sessions with Google Hangouts and potentially make them available on YouTube. 

If this sounds like something that might interest you, let me know here or ping me on Twitter @stpaultim. Let me know which topics you are interested in and what day of the week and time (include your timezone) work best for you. 

Is anyone else interested?

EDIT - from comments below:

"How about Tuesday January 8, 2018 - 11:00 (Central Time USA) - see link for time in your location."

Check this google doc for more information and shared note taking. 

Most helpful answers

I'm going to throw a tentative date and time out there that I think will work in the US and Central Europe. 

How about Tuesday January 8, 2018 - 11:00 (Central Time USA) - see link for time in your location.

Feedback appreciated. If you would like to participate, but this time and day of the week does not work, let me know. We might schedule two sessions to accommodate different time zones. 

I'd like to propose "Configuration Management" as the first topic.

My thought is that we would use Google Hangouts and record these sessions for others to view later, but it is open to discussion. Individuals would not need to share their image, but they should plan on sharing their audio. I would like people to participate and share their own experiences. 

We may or may not use screen sharing to look at things together. Would love to get your feedback. 

Hopefully, sharing the video does not discourage folks from joining these events live, because we need enough people to participate if we are going to have good discussions. 

Comments

I'd be interested, I think. Mondays and Fridays, maybe Sundays, generally best for me. Would video chat be required?

My thought is that we would use Google Hangouts and record these sessions for others to view later, but it is open to discussion. Individuals would not need to share their image, but they should plan on sharing their audio. I would like people to participate and share their own experiences. 

We may or may not use screen sharing to look at things together. Would love to get your feedback. 

Hopefully, sharing the video does not discourage folks from joining these events live, because we need enough people to participate if we are going to have good discussions. 

I'm going to throw a tentative date and time out there that I think will work in the US and Central Europe. 

How about Tuesday January 8, 2018 - 11:00 (Central Time USA) - see link for time in your location.

Feedback appreciated. If you would like to participate, but this time and day of the week does not work, let me know. We might schedule two sessions to accommodate different time zones. 

I'd like to propose "Configuration Management" as the first topic.

jenlampton's picture

9am PT / 11am CT Tuesday Jan 8th works for me! I'm most interested in sharing about the following: 

• Config Management
  • Theming in BackdropCMS
  • The layout system in BackdropCMS
klonos's picture

Also interested, but I would prefer 10am, as I start work at 11am.

I am mostly interested in topics about UX, and generally how to improve the admin UI and reduce WTFs for new users.

...multilingual/internationalisation too :)

cellear's picture

I'm in!  I like @jenlamptons's agenda items, to the surprise of no one.  I think users would also be interested in:

• Low-cost hosting options
  • Data migration strategies
  • Best practices for various sizes and types of sites, encompassing site owners both with and without internal (or contracted) technical resources.  Drupal's "there's a module for that" philosophy is a bit unfriendly to newcomers, since modules aren't solutions.

9:00AM Pacific time is doable for me currently, though the future is unwritten and that could easily change :)  My preference would be a little later in the day.

Hey friends. We just scheduled the next virtual user group, #2 for next week (Feb 26th). The topic will be Layouts in Backdrop CMS. 

One of the biggest adjustments for any site builder in Backdrop CMS is probably the fantastic new layouts system. We'll try to have a short demo of how layouts work in Backdrop CMS, give everyone a chance to share their own experiences with the new Layouts system, and save a little time for general questions. 

The time for the meetup will be:

9:00am Pacific USA
12:00pm Eastern USA
5:00pm London, UK
4:00am Melbourne, AU (Feb 27th)

Check your time zone here:
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Backdrop+CMS+V...