I added a Flexslider views block to Homepage Layout block admin page, upon saving, the page rendered into a HTTP error 500
"This page isn’t working
bddds2 (my local instance) is currently unable to handle this request."
URL is http://bddds2:8888/en/admin/structure/layouts/manage/home_page

Not able to get back to Manage block admin UI 'cos the page is stuck at white 500 error page. Need to delete the Layout and recreate.

This same setting was working in the Drupal7 Structure/Blocks setup.

And I see following error when making changes to the Flexslider views page, and when I refresh the homepage (after seeing 500 error page as above):

Warning: require_once(/Users/bk/Sites/mamp/bddds2/includes/language.inc): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in require_once() (line 261 of /Users/bk/Sites/mamp/bddds2/core/modules/field/views/views_handler_field_field.inc).

Accepted answer

@blimking, there's something about your particular setup that's flushing out some long-hidden bugs! 😊

I haven't tested this but if you are comfortable editing a file, can you change line 261 of /Users/bk/Sites/mamp/bddds2/core/modules/field/views/views_handler_field_field.inc from this:

require_once BACKDROP_ROOT . '/includes/language.inc';

to this:

require_once BACKDROP_ROOT . '/core/includes/language.inc';

and report back here if that helps?

Comments

@blimking, there's something about your particular setup that's flushing out some long-hidden bugs! 😊

I haven't tested this but if you are comfortable editing a file, can you change line 261 of /Users/bk/Sites/mamp/bddds2/core/modules/field/views/views_handler_field_field.inc from this:

require_once BACKDROP_ROOT . '/includes/language.inc';

to this:

require_once BACKDROP_ROOT . '/core/includes/language.inc';

and report back here if that helps?

Hi @laryn, thanks very very much! The edit resolved the issue! So glad I'm helping in a small way. Wish I understand what you guys discussed in github threads. :)

Thank you for helping to make Backdrop better!

I looked at FFP and Yes it appears unchanged. That is it should still exhibit the bug.  I'll test it to be sure and then raise the issue. I would prefer not to use it however if it cannot be made to activatre fully by the module.

klonos's picture

For posterity, the underlying core bug for this has been fixed and merged into both 1.18.x and 1.x, so it will be included in the next 1.18.2 and 1.19.0 releases when they come out 😉

Thank you  for reporting this 🙏

The error is too generic and does not tell you exact problem. What you need is to find out what is the real issue. If your site is serving a Internal Server Error, this can be caused by a number of things, such as:

• Server permission
  • Server timeout
  • Script timeout
  • Errors in .htaccess files
  • Exceeded PHP memory limit.
  • Or some other Web Server Issues

Normally, a permissions issue on the file (or files) would be one cause of the 500 the page isn't working. The simple solution is to run chmod 644 on the problem file(s) or chmod 755 on the directories.

$ sudo chmod -R 777 /"your files location"

The best way to debug the error depends upon the server and what’s actually running at the time. Consider some debugging tips to help diagnose and fix common causes of this problem.