I'm stuck in Maintenance mode....  and, when I try to go to   mysite/user  ,  the login page doesn't come up..."The requested URL was not found on this server"

how do I get back to turn it off?

Accepted answer

Wow... yep.  Apache config error.  "follow symbolic links" had to be set.

Not sure how I missed this, but the installation instructions didn't mention this, I had to go elsewhere to find mention of it.

Thank you all who responded!

Comments

Well, I've tried changing the maintenance_mode entry in the states table, but that didn't help.

*shouldn't* the  <mysiteurl>/user  address give me a login window even in maintenance mode?  How else would one log back in to take it out of maintenance mode?

Yes, even in maintenance mode you should be able to access the login page and login as an admin at "<mysiteurl>/user".

What did you do while in maintenance mode? 

Did you update Backdrop CMS? If so, have you double checked to be sure that you put everything in the correct place?

If you try to go to the home page are you getting the "Site in Maintenance Mode" message?

We need to verify if the site is actually in maintenance mode or if something else broke and we're looking at the wrong problem.

I simply put it in maintenance mode, logged out, and closed my browser.

I didn't update Backdrop CMS.

Yes, I get the "Site in Maintenance Mode" message.

Exactly what happens when you go to "<mysiteurl>/user" ?

Do you have access to php error logs?

I get an Apache error:

"The requested URL was not found on this server."

So now I'm think it's not PHP?

Is this a brand new site that you just installed or a site that you have been working on for a while?

Does any page other than the front page load? 

I am wondering if the problem is with the .htaccess file? Occasionally I run into situations where the front page loads, but no other pages load. This is usually a .htaccess or server config problem.

Thankfully, it's a new site that I'm playing around with to decide if I want to use Backdrop CMS.

But... if I can't reliably put it in maintenance mode, and get it back *out* of maintenance mode...  would be a show stopper.

I don't know if the .htaccess file is messed up or not.  what perms should be on it?  www-data the owner?

I agree that it sounds like a server config problem, but where would the /user/ path exist?

Wow... yep.  Apache config error.  "follow symbolic links" had to be set.

Not sure how I missed this, but the installation instructions didn't mention this, I had to go elsewhere to find mention of it.

Thank you all who responded!

@smace - What instructions were you using? I'd like to look at what we can do to improve those instructions?

We'd love any specific ideas that you might have to improve instructions, regarding this or any other issues you encountered while testing BackdropCMS.