Hello all,

The help text for creating a password is non specific about what the parameters are to set one, thus:

'The password must be sufficiently long or complex.'

Can anyone tell me what the actual minimum requirements are please? I can then change the string to better inform my users who are  non-native English speakers that will have a poor grasp of English. I envisage problems for my users who might well go elsewhere if they cannot register on my site if they cannot figure out the password criteria.

Cheers

Rob

Most helpful answers

There's not simple criteria: the strength rating depends on a weighted combination of length and randomness. (Some discussion can be found in this issue.)

Since there is immediate feedback on password quality as you enter it, you could say something like "enter a combination of mixed-case letters, numbers, and/or symbols as a password, adding characters until the strength indicator shows 'good' or better."

Comments

bugfolder's picture

There's not simple criteria: the strength rating depends on a weighted combination of length and randomness. (Some discussion can be found in this issue.)

Since there is immediate feedback on password quality as you enter it, you could say something like "enter a combination of mixed-case letters, numbers, and/or symbols as a password, adding characters until the strength indicator shows 'good' or better."

indigoxela's picture

Hi robcoppard,

did the hints posted in the Github issue help you?

If you want to provide a better (extended) help text with more detailed description, a custom block (above/below/sidebar) might be a good choice.

Hi @indigoxela, Yes, I think they will. I've not had time to look at those yet. It is useful info to know. Thanks, and sorry for not thanking you sooner for your replies.

Cheers

Rob