I want to creat a presentation, so I am interested in this question: What are the major advantages of Backdrop CMS over Drupal 8 for a website builder who never uses the API, never programs?
Examples:

• Backdrop has got Philosophy
  • Drupal upgrade is forced by Symphony upgrade
  • Planed and scheduled releases
  • Lower system requirements
  • Layout system

Accepted answer

UI updates for Backdrop core. 

I'd like to expand on this a little. The real focus is on the experience, and not just for the content editor, but for website builders and developers too. The button you think you should should push is the button you should actually push. Text has been updated everywhere to be more human and less robotic. Edit links mean content int stored in the database, and Configure means it's data in .json files.  Everything should be where you expect to find it in Backdrop, and it should feel nicer to use.

Also, the biggest difference I see for a non-coder is that Backdrop has less complexity.

Comments

FYI - Drupal 8 has also moved to a planned and scheduled releases and also has a new layout system. I don't know if the release schedule or layout system are better in Backdrop than Drupal 8. 

But, I think the philosophy and vision of Backdrop CMS are an advantage if you are a user that fits into their/our target audience. Also, the lower system requirements are a real advantage.

Converting modules and custom code from Drupal 7 is much easier in Backdrop CMS than it is in Drupal 8. Writing custom code for Backdrop CMS is much easier if you learned to code using Drupal 7 and do not have the need to learn the fully object orientated practices of Drupal 8. 

Backdrop CMS does not force users into using a composer based workflow. 

Backdrop CMS has put end user needs ahead of those of developers and put a lot of effort into improving the experience for site owners and content editors. 

It would be interesting to compare all the features/modules that have been added to Backdrop CMS vs Drupal 8. I know that Backdrop is very focused on adding features to core that effect end users and content editors. 

Lower cost to maintain. 

I look forward to what others have to add. 

Backdrop doesn't have a looming EOL ;-)

To be fair Drupal 8 to 9 won't be a big jump since they say it's supposed to be just removing deprecated API. We'll see in practice. Regardless Drupal is faster moving than Backdrop in terms of API so requires more work especially if there is any custom code.

jenlampton's picture

I'd like to expand on this a little. The real focus is on the experience, and not just for the content editor, but for website builders and developers too. The button you think you should should push is the button you should actually push. Text has been updated everywhere to be more human and less robotic. Edit links mean content int stored in the database, and Configure means it's data in .json files.  Everything should be where you expect to find it in Backdrop, and it should feel nicer to use.

Also, the biggest difference I see for a non-coder is that Backdrop has less complexity.

The forum software is splitting words on punctuation characters which are part of words. It changed the won't to won in the most helpful answer, giving the impression that Drupal 8 and 9 are more suited to the OP's needs although Backdrop probaby suits the requirements better.

Some tweaks are called for.

PS. It may be advisable to highlight a way to turn off this forum's built-in text editor. It interferes with my browser's keyboard addon. I did it by pressing the Source button, but it should be more obvious

Is this forum moderated? I response I made is not showing up.

After this appearing it seems the design makes it easy to loose responses.

The forum editor may be interfering with my browsers Vim keyboard addon.

The forum is not moderated as a rule. However, some posts are flagged by spam software for approval, sometimes it is very unclear why a particular message is being flagged. Sorry about that. It doesn't happen very often.

NOTE: It is fine to post comments here about issues with the forum. However, if you are so inclined, we also have an issue queue on github to discuss the technical aspects of the forum.
https://github.com/backdrop-ops/forum.backdropcms.org

Thank You for the replies! I use these in my presentation.