Since I use a large variety of CMS and other types of web-programs, combined with the fact that I use multiple servers and domain names, I like to find the easiest way I can, to move a program from one server or domain name, to another one.

Softaculous has a feature, https://www.softaculous.com/docs/enduser/remote-import/ that lets me easily "import" a website program from one domain to another one.

When trying to use that feature on backdrop, it will allow me to import a backdrop site from one domain to another domain name, as long as it is hosted on the same server, but it will not allow me to import a site that is located on a different server, like I can with some of the other programs that I use.

In the past, I have contacted Softaculous and requested they add a program or feature to their platform and while it sometimes takes a long while, they normally try to oblige, however in this case, I wanted to check with the powers in charge of Backdrop to see if this feature of automatically importing a site from one server to another one, is something Backdrop has to create and offer to Softaculous or if it is something Softacuous has to simply incorporate on their end.

In additional testing, I discovered that in all of the various web programs I use, the only ones that do NOT have the ability to "import" from a different or separate server, also do NOT have a "clone" feature listed in Softaculous, so I am not sure if there is a connection or not. Also, Drupal is listed as having a clone and the ability to import from a separate server.

Any input or feedback on who has to arrange this feature, would be appreciated.

Thanks

FTW

Comments

I wanted to check with the powers in charge of Backdrop to see if this feature of automatically importing a site from one server to another one, is something Backdrop has to create and offer to Softaculous or if it is something Softacuous has to simply incorporate on their end.

I'm not sure if we can answer this question without more information about how Softaculous does this. It sounds to me as if this is something special that was build by Softaculous and that we wouldn't have anything to do with it. However, if you say that this feature is available for most tools, but not for Backdrop, then it is possible that we could fix or incorporate something in Backdrop CMS core to make this possible. But, we can't say anything for sure without a deeper understanding of why Softaculous hasn't created this feature and/or whether there is something about Backdrop that makes this difficult.

It would seem to me, that if they could do it for Drupal they should also be able to do it for Backdrop, but I really don't have enough information to be sure.

You should feel free to contact Softaculous and ask them for any information about why they haven't provided this feature for Backdrop already. That information could be useful for us and information that we might be able to act upon.

I just received a reply from Softaculous stating they will be adding the ability to "CLONE" backdrop sites through their program.

They will let me know as soon as it is available.

I have not heard if they will also be adding the ability to IMPORT sites from foreign servers yet, but will let everyone know as soon as I hear more info.

For anyone that is interested, as a result of my request, I just received a message from Softaculous letting me know they have added a “clone” feature as well as the “import” feature for Backdrop.

The only problem is when I tried to import a backdrop site from a foreign server to several other servers, I kept getting errors.

Since I do NOT get these same errors when I try to import other programs, using Softaculous, I figured it “might” be a problem with the Backdrop script and was wondering if there is anyone here that has multiple servers using Softaculous, that could attempt a backdrop import from another server, in an attempt to duplicate the problem.

Here are the sql errors I am getting when trying to import a backdrop site. Keep in mind, I use this import feature on other cms programs and it works fine but the import attempts I made with backdrop failed when I tried them on several different servers and website names.

Error #1:

Could not make the query numbered

MySql Error No : 1062

MySql Error : Duplicate entry ‘https://uslegacies.org//backdrop/’ for key ‘bdwr_cache_page.PRIMARY’

Error #2:

Could not make the query numbered

MySql Error No : 1062

MySql Error : Duplicate entry ‘https://americanlegacies.org/’ for key ‘PRIMARY’

Also, here is a link on how to import a site, using Softaculous.

https://www.softaculous.com/docs/enduser/remote-import/

Thanks

FTW

I don’t know what was causing the problem, but I was finally able to get a successful import.

What I had to do was make a “clone” of my original site, then place it into a subfolder of a different domain name, on the same server.

Then I imported it into a new server and had it installed into a sub folder and it all worked fine. Even all of the images were transferred automatically, which surprised me.

I am sure there will be an easier way, but at least this way I can populate a couple of new domain names I will be buying.

Plus, I am needing to convert about a dozen sites to backdrop from another CMS that has eliminated 99% of their support.